Friday, December 24, 2010

Taking Care and Letting Go

It's Christmas Eve and Russ, our carpenter-neighbor, is out in the porch prepping the room for heat and electricity. Frances and I began this project years ago by replacing screened windows with glass. What a wonderful Christmas gift for us to finally complete our seasonal space and turn it into a year-round room!

Russ told us today that people typically love to see carpenters arrive and they love to see them leave. I understand what he means. It's incredibly fun to see a space transformed from something imagined into a reality. But, truth be told, I'm ready to transition into peace and tranquility, i.e., "silent night, holy night."

I practiced T'ai Chi Chih as the light faded from grey to black. I still feel exhausted and on the verge of illness so today I took exceptional care of myself: early to bed, good food, a restful, relaxed day, long walk, and TCC practice.

At the beginning of practice I imagined myself as a puppet with strings holding up my body. Gee. How much more could I truly relax if I allowed myself to believe someone else was responsible for moving my body for me? It was a fun exercise in letting go. And so I did. I can. And I am....

No comments: