Monday, November 8, 2010

Let Good Fortune Jump on You

What a day! What terrific weather!

When Frances and I returned from our shirtsleeve walk this morning, we were stopped by two men driving past who work at the town garage. They'd noticed Frances's smashed car sitting at the end of the driveway and wondered what happened. One offered to ask his mother whether her Crown Vic was still for sale. Perhaps Frances could use that auto body to replace the body of her tree-damaged car.

That wasn't Frances's only stroke of good fortune. She'd noticed and picked up a quarter from the roadside just before the guys stopped to chat. (I was reminded of the title of a book by Zen Buddhist Paul Reps, Let Good Fortune Jump on You. Reps was a writer, poet, and artist who was a friend of Justin Stone's.)

I did my TCC practice out on the deck in 55 degree sunshine before I headed off to work. The forest looked bare but it's great to see deeper into the woods and out to the lake. There's a feeling of spaciousness in the yard and nearby woods that is a temporary respite before snow starts piling up.

Oh, TCC practice felt delicious. It put me into a more relaxed space before I headed off to work. And it's wonderful to start the second week of November soaking up every single ray of sunshine that hits my body before every single inch of skin disappears under multiple layers of wool and polypropylene for the next six months....

No comments: