Sunday, September 23, 2012

Threat of Frost Sets the Pace of Life

Saturday, September 22, 2012:

And so, on this first day of fall the farmers in the area were concerned about predictions of frost. Frances and I were out in our garden Friday evening picking many of our unripe tomatoes and squash in the hope that they're ripen whether they were still in the dirt or not. No frost though we did hear that Duluth, MN had snow last night....

This morning we arrived at Farmers' Market to sell hot soup (it went over well since it was such a cold morning), returned to our garden to harvest the best of the rest, and traveled to a friend's to celebrate her 42nd birthday around a campfire. "Wouldn't you know I'd pick a day for my party when all of my friends are out in their gardens trying to get in the rest of their produce," she exclaimed. Still, there were eight to ten of us there with some arriving several hours later that the announced start time. (Indeed, they were out in their gardens harvesting.)

When Frances and I returned home, we covered plants and vegetables to ensure that, if frost covered the ground tonight they wouldn't experience sudden death. Then, finally, I grabbed some time for my T'ai Chi Chih practice before sleep claimed me. 

Sunday, September 23, 2012:

It's been another busy day. After Frances left for work I cleaned the kitchen and prepared lunch for two friends from the Twin Cities who stopped in for a several-hour visit before they headed home from their vacation. 

Before they arrived I got myself outside into the sunshine and did a T'ai Chi Chih practice on the deck. I knew that my energy was fading and, if I wanted to practice TCC today, I needed to do it earlier rather than later. It felt wonderful to take time for me before I shared myself and my energy with others. And now that our dear friends have departed, I'm taking time to experience my day of rest.

No comments: