Sunday, August 26, 2012

Vegetable Heaven

Saturday, August 25, 2012:

Green beans frozen? Check. Carrots prepped for freezing? Check. Daikon greens in freezer? Check.

It's fall harvest time and we're rushing to preserve our bounty before it's past its prime.

T'ai Chi Chih practice was stuffed into a few spare minutes between prepping, freezing, chopping, and cleaning. I finally realized I was overdoing it when I fell into a severe insulin reaction in late afternoon. That always slows me down if I don't manage to stop my overachiever subpersonality in advance.

I think the TCC practice helps me to keep going, but I'm beginning to wonder whether it's past time for me to simply stop and relax.

Sunday, August 26, 2012:

I'm overwhelmed with the abundance of our garden. Yesterday we stopped at our garden briefly and discovered daikon radishes lying on the ground where I'd forgotten them after our garden harvest on Friday. I'd already sauteed daikon greens and frozen them earlier in the day (I'm still unsure how to preserve the radishes themselves).

Yesterday we made a huge batch of cucumber soup. Today it's pickles and who knows?

Today's T'ai Chi Chih practice was half-hearted. I wanted to work in the kitchen and I also wanted to lie down and take a break. Instead I began my practice outdoors and adjourned inside when the mosquitoes started eating their lunch (from my body).

It's another hot and humid day and I can feel my ambition and motivation fading. Frances and I took a break late yesterday afternoon in order to walk along the lakeshore and I'm guessing that I need another 'escape from responsibility' today.

In the interim I do feel a bit more relaxed and recharged after TCC practice. If anything, it helped me to realize that I need to spend part of today out of drive and paused in neutral.

No comments: