Friday, August 13, 2010

Ah, Joy! ... and Gratitude

I lucked out. Our hotel does have computers available for their guests. I'm using this opportunity to catch up on TCC doings since I left northern Wisconsin on Tuesday....

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 -- T'ai Chi Chih Annual Teachers' Conference, Lied Lodge

We arrived at Arbor Day Farm in Nebraska City, Nebraska in late afternoon. Shortly after check-in Anna and I practiced TCC in a conference room with windows facing the hazelnut orchard. First, though, we managed to interrupt TCC Guide Sr. Antonia and teacher trainers Pam and Sandy as they flowed through their own TCC practice in another unlocked conference room.

The moist heat is intense (104 degrees when we came out to the car around 8:00 p.m. after our dinner at a popular Mexican restaurant in downtown Nebraska City). There's been so much rain here that earlier in the day we were routed off the freeway due to water flowing over the road. Later, when we crossed the Missouri River near our final destination (Lied Lodge) one lane of traffic in the opposite direction was closed for the same reason.

There are many trees and a wealth of tree information here at the Lodge, as well as tree trunk beams in our rooms, the hallways, and the entrance area. Our indoor arbor adds to the energy of our location in a positive and powerful way.

My practice with Anna was high energy and I anticipate more to come as our full group of 83 arrives on Thursday in time for a mid-afternoon registration and 5:00 p.m. group practice. The cicadas are tremendously loud but fun to listen to since we don't have these lovely insects in the northern climes from which I came.

Thursday, August 12, 2010

HOT-HOT-HOT. A wonderful start to the day ... 7:00 a.m. TCC practice with the two Rochester, MN teachers with whom I traveled. We practiced outdoors and could feel the heat building as the sun pierced the early morning coolness.

After breakfast we walked to Arbor Day Farm to explore their trails and canopy treehouse before the heat and humidity drove us back to our air-conditioned rooms. Following afternoon conference registration our newly-convened group gathered for our first TCC practice. Our two teachers trainers (Pam and Sandy) circled up with Sr. Antonia (TCC guide) and the newly certified teachers attending the conference for the first time. The rest of the teachers in the room created another circle surrounding them.

We had a wonderful deeply silent practice. The energy. The quiet. The peacefulness. Well, I'll say it again: It was wonderful. Our conference theme is Gratitude. When our group sat in silence for ten minutes following practice, I felt incredibly grateful for this experience of communion with other teachers.

This evening Sandy asked Anna and I to lead tomorrow's 7:00 a.m. group practice. Though it's a rather intimidating prospect I welcome the opportunity....

Friday, August 13, 2010

Okay, it's true. Anna and I did feel anxious about our role as TCC group practice leaders this morning. I think it affected sleep for both of us. We did, of course, lead the practice today and all went well. One trick: lead with your back to the rest of the group so that you can see the beauty of nature through the windows right in front of you.

Anna was the primary leader. I followed. And, other than the fact that we were positioned on a very small riser/stage and I never knew for sure where the edge was behind me, it was fabulous. Anna admitted to me later that she shook throughout and I breathed many deep, deep breaths to calm and ground myself (and her).

The day has much in store. We'll have another group practice later this afternoon plus time to evaluate a partner's and our own foundation (foot placement, weight shift, etc.) and hear information about Seijaku (advanced TCC), how to lead seated practices, the status of the Vital Force Journal and Good Karma Publications, and much, much more.

Now, late in the day, I skipped our evening barbeque in order to rest (I haven't slept well all week!). It is wonderful to spend time by myself and revisit the computer screen before me. Still, I'm tired; I'll save some of my conference stories for my return to the North Woods.

No comments: