Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I've Only Just Begun ... (Again)

Today is my first full day at home following the T'ai Chi Chih Teachers' Conference. NOW the real work of refining my form begins once again.

There are the simple recommendations, i.e., step out less far to the side than you do to the front since the leg should not fully extend when moving side-to-side. Or, imagine that your fingertips are tracing a circle when you Push-Pull forward and back. Or, allow your wrist to relax and drop a bit as you create two interlocking circles in Passing Clouds.

Then there are the more complex, time-consuming refinements that require several weeks? months? of dedicated attention to resolve. So, for instance, I knew that I leaned back when I stepped into Resting Position. Now I know what to do to modify that position but it will take time and attention to break myself of this deeply ingrained habit.

During tonight's practice I took note of and focused on some of these detail-oriented corrections. In the cool, crisp, early evening air I moved and recalled comments, corrections, suggestions, and feedback that was meant to assist me in improving the circulation and flow of the Chi.

And, like The Carpenters used to sing: "I've (we've) only just begun...."

No comments: