Friday, August 6, 2010

One Eternal Moment

I practiced TCC outside on the deck this morning. A light breeze breathed through the woods and stirred the wind chimes into a subdued waltz. A woodpecker tapped a light rhythm on a nearby tree. And the geese clucked and conversed quietly between themselves. Occasionally the wind drifted toward and past me with a huge exhale that stirred the leaves into a hushed dance.

It was amazingly quiet. I didn't hear the mother deer and fawn but sensed that something moved down the driveway. When I turned my head slightly, I saw a beautiful brown silhouette filtering through the leaves with another one--smaller--leading the way.

This deep stillness is unusual here in the woods. There are usually flutters and flickers, waving branches, swaying treetops, and throngs of singing birds. But today was quiet. The stillness settled all around me. It invited me to sink into my peaceful surroundings and release Monkey Mind into the sun dappled woods.

Inhale. Step. Exhale. Shift foward. Inhale. Move backward. Exhale. Move forward. On and on. Into this one eternal moment....

No comments: