Friday, March 9, 2012

The ABCs of Chi

Thursday, March 8, 2012:
Two students came to TCC class this morning (the remaining students are currently off traveling the country). The smaller class allowed time to refine and rework the movements which is, as we know, a constant and ongoing process that depends upon our willingness to continually strive to acquire a greater understanding of the form and the movement of the Chi.

I remember attending a teachers' certification years ago in which the trainer reminded us that we spend much of our time after we learn the basic form simply breaking bad habits we acquire during the course of our practices. That's certainly been true for me.

During our practice I noticed that both students sped ahead of me through most of the movements, a typical sign that they weren't fully shifting their weight forward and backward. Consequently we devoted time to examining their stance (length of step) and ensuring that they were both bending and straightening their knees.

It's always a bit overwhelming to take on a new correction or refinement of the form. When I've stayed with the practice, though, I find that it gradually becomes easier, more flowing, more relaxed, and--in time--effortless.

Friday, March 9, 2012:

Today I have a full day of work at the library ahead of me so I fortified myself with an early morning T'ai Chi Chih practice. It was lovely. During part of the practice I sat; at the end of the practice, in order to more easily accommodate the sideways movements, I stood.

The sun shone, yesterday's wind had died down, and the scene before me was a picture of pure white rolling acres. Now I'm struggling with a program I'm unfamiliar with on an unfamiliar computer just trying to write my blog. I'm a tiny bit aggravated. Still, I hope that today's work will flow easily as a result of my early morning activation, balancing, and circulation of the Chi....

No comments: