Saturday, March 3, 2012

Refreshed and Reconnected

I awoke early this morning still caught in the web of information conveyed by the documentary that Frances and I watched last night, Page One: Inside The New York Times. As a long ago journalism student I was trained to think deeply about the stories I wrote, the words I used, and the angle I took. Thirty-five years later I still remember my investigative journalism professor telling our class: Always look for the money.

Page One certainly stirred up a whirlwind of thoughts and feelings. As a result, I wrote a lengthy blog on Under the Forest Canopy; the last time I posted an entry there was February 2010. It felt good to write in more depth. Heck, it felt good to write.

Afterward I puttered around the house, helped Frances with Facebook, then shoveled today's three inch coating of snow off the front step and deck. It was so beautiful and quiet outside that I did my T'ai Chi Chih practice on the freshly cleared deck as I looked out onto the vanilla frosted dips and rises of the forest floor.

A light snow fell as I practiced and I marvelled at the silence. Of course, I heard human sounds: people talking and laughing outside the bar across the road, the roar of a snowmobile, the whoosh of a passing car. The winged and four-legged creatures kept their own counsel. Other than a brief chorus of coyotes as dusk fell, the woods was wrapped snugly in its cloak of white.

By the end of my practice I felt refreshed and reconnected to the wild, wintry world of the woods....

No comments: