Saturday, February 26, 2011

Rest Trumps Responsibility

Friday, February 25, 2011, 8:20 pm

Scritch. Scratch. Scritch, scritch, scratch. I hear the sound of tiny canine nails digging into the carpet to create one--just one!--cozy nest. Eventually I hear Frances's voice, in a fruitless effort to protect the area rug, impatiently direct: Namaste, that's enough now.

I'm exhausted from a busy week. After an early morning filled with phone calls, animal care, and errands, I rushed to the library for a fast-paced day of work. When Frances arrived home from her three day venture to Madison, we caught up on the events in our lives, then I retired to the back room for T'ai Chi Chih practice.

Despite the fact that I was exceedingly weary the practice felt good for my body and soul. My energy improved. I felt more relaxed. So relaxed, in fact, that as I put my pen to paper to write my blog while I waited for Frances to finish up on the computer, my eyelids began to close--then open--close, then open.

I was falling asleep in an upright position! It was clear that my tiredness would checkmate my ability to gain access to the computer and publish my blog. And so ... I drifted into a restful sleep.

No comments: