Friday, January 8, 2010

Repetition, Repetition, Repetition

Tonight's practice consisted of six sets of Rocking Motion and six sets of Passing Clouds (i.e., 54 each). To tell the truth, I'm not sure why I chose to practice these two movements or, for that matter, why I decided to perform multiple repetitions of each.

I do know that litter box training a young kitten takes a lot of fortitude and perseverance. Possibly after three days of kitty potty training I realized that I could perform multiple repetitions of several t'ai chi chih movements with ease. And, perhaps, as my body-mind develops patience through these movement repetitions I will train myself to deal more easily with whatever project I undertake.

I truly enjoyed Rocking Motion. The longer I rocked, the more effortless it became. I often ask myself, "How is my center (dantienne) leading me through this movement?" When I focus on my center--and then my weight shift--I feel the easy rise and fall of my arms and hands.

Of course, I'm also aware that the Rocking Motion breathing pattern helps me to move forward and back, arms floating up and down as I move. Inhaling as I move forward creates a sense of buoyancy and lightness. Exhaling as I move backward slowly brings me back to earth and reestablishes my root connection. Heaven and Earth ... connected.

No comments: