Saturday, January 23, 2010

The River and its Waves are One....

My practice began in darkness today; the only rosy glow I saw was the pink-orange of my t-shirt reflected in the glass patio door. Bit-by-bit the day lightened and a pencil-thin line of scarlet ran along the horizon.

Today's practice was a going-through-the-motions' day. That is, until I got to Perpetual Motion Taffy. This movement felt so good that I added another set of repetitions and rested, simply, in its flow and comforting softness.

When I arrived at Passing Clouds--one of my favorite movements--I didn't feel the same soft flow that I felt with Perpetual Motion. Why is it, I wondered, that one TCC movement feels so scrumptious one day and an entirely different movement feels delicious the next?

Or ... why do I feel so engaged in--and embraced by--my practice one day and the next day I don't? It's a mystery....
The river and its waves are one surf:
     where is the difference between
     the river and its waves?
When the wave rises, it is the water;
     and when it falls,
     it is the same water again.
     Tell me, Sir, where is the distinction?
Because it has been named as wave,
     shall it no longer be considered as water?
               Kabir
               From: The Mystic Vision, January 15

No comments: