Sunday, October 3, 2010

A Feast of the Senses

Ahhh. Beautiful, color-filled, bittersweet, soon-over fall.

On this wonderful Sun-day of rest I soaked in the heat, light, sights and sounds of a beauteous, bounteous fall day. Despite the fact that I spent the morning reading and relaxing, puttering and pausing, I was perfectly aware early in my TCC practice that my body and mind were set to full speed ahead. I clearly needed to slow my pace and calm my body-mind.

As I soaked in my surroundings through delicately tuned senses I softly eased into the speed of my woodland home. Birds and butterflies fluttered up and down around me and eventually a Mourning Cloak alighted on the deck nearby. Next an unfamiliar fall leaf-colored butterfly settled lightly on the deck railing and slowly opened and closed its wings as if to say: Come on, you can do it. It's not that difficult to slow down. Just relax, gently flap your arms, and settle into the peace of this moment.

Bird calls sounded like squeaky wheels that desperately needed grease and Ander and Lucy tromped from one side of the house to the other, their webbed feet crackling and crinkling the dry brown leaves underfoot. Late in my practice as I loudly exhaled my Joyous Breaths, a deer responded with its own exuberant huffs from across the driveway.

Eventually, practice complete, I pulled several long-sleeved shirts over my bare arms (temps quickly dropped from 70 to mid-50s) and dropped into a lawn chair to rest and receive the blessings of this day. I know it's still early in the season but ... what a thanksgiving feast of the senses!

No comments: