Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Power of Less

It's another beautiful day after a night of rain, thunder, lightning, and hail. Temps here are in the 60s; in River Falls, WI it's 102. I like where I live.

Today I started reading The Power of Less: The Fine Art of Limiting Yourself to the Essential ... in Business and in Life by Leo Babauta. I constantly search for more information and encouragement when it comes to simplifying. Of course, T'ai Chi Chih practice and The Tao remind us that less is more or, at least, enough.

Babauta encourages readers to simplify their lives by taking two ultra-simple steps: first, identify the essential and second, eliminate the rest (p. ix). Since we live in a culture where the prevailing attitude is "more is better," those of us who choose to live simply often find ourselves swimming against the mainstream current.

Frances and I recently watched A Crude Awakening (about peak oil). If the experts consulted in that documentary are correct, humans living around our entire planet will soon have to change their lifestyles in order to live without the wealth of natural resources--specifically fossil fuels--that we've come to rely upon. Those who've practiced and refined the art of living simply are ahead of the curve ball that's headed our way....

Today I practiced my simple moving meditation before I went to work. It was crazy-busy when I arrived at the library. I have no doubt that my pre-work practice helped me float calmly through the midst of the chaos. And that is a very good thing....

No comments: