Friday, September 17, 2010

Eyes Wide Open

T'ai Chi Chih practice motivates me to venture outside and perform my moving meditation on days when I would likely stay seated in front of my computer screen or otherwise occupy myself. I am grateful for the subtle manner in which it inspires me to GET UP AND MOVE.

Today's early morning grey skies cleared and segued to blue by the time I ventured onto the deck for my lunchtime practice. Aha! Our fall and winter friends, the nuthatches and black-capped chickadees, are regulars at the bird feeder once again. Unfortunately, chipmunks make it to the feeder first, line both sides, and chug seeds; they're driving away the birds and emptying the feeder in record speed.

I moved my practice down to ground level in hopes of dissuading the chippies from their busy task. No luck. They barely moved when I interrupted my practice several times, clapped my hands, and verbally urged them to Vamoose! Be Gone! Get Out Of Here! The chipmunks--and the mice--consider Frances and me to be their friends. Intuitively they sense that we won't resort to corporal punishment or murder. We'll need to fashion another baffle to keep the chipmunks and squirrels at bay as I'm not willing to continually interrupt my TCC practice to intercede on the birds' behalf. (I admit, I was tempted this time.)

On our walk to the mailbox (Frances, Namaste, Chiripa, and me) we discovered one tiny snake and further on, another larger garter snake in the middle of the driveway. After Frances introduced the cat to the snakes Chiripa took it upon herself to tease and play with them. On our way back up the drive Chiripa still tormented the garter snake who lunged at her and wiggled its tongue. That was enough! Frances picked Chiripa up and carried her up hill.

It's a beautiful sun sifting through yellow leafed day. The slow down I experienced with my TCC practice has helped me to see and appreciate the beauty around me with eyes wide open.

1 comment:

Evergreen said...

Do you think the Chipmunks understand that the food isn't for them? And does it perhaps seem a bit unfair to them that you leave food out and don't let them eat it.
I have always maintained that when we put food out for wildlife, we cannot be picky about which wildlife we attract. After all, aren't they all beautiful and fun to watch?