Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Tree

Frances and I watched The Tree of Life last night and I've been hashing it over in my mind ever since. This movie expects you to think and feel and tussle and struggle to be in the moment. Hmm. That reminds me of T'ai Chi Chih practice.

Tree is the next movie scheduled for our Cinema and Conversation on Saturday night. It's up for Academy Awards for Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Cinematography and, by all accounts, it's created controversy; some people are intrigued; some are bored; some have walked out on it; and others have booed (at the Cannes Film Festival). Obviously, it inspires strong reactions from its viewers and perhaps, that's the point.

My first efforts this morning were focused on researching Terrence Malick, the writer and director of this film. I admit; I was intrigued. It appears there may be autobiographical elements included in this film and there is plenty of space and time (especially at the beginning) to allow the lush visual imagery to impact the senses and invade the heart.

I remained aware of the film throughout my morning T'ai Chi Chih practice as I observed the natural world around me and allowed its beauty and peace inside. The quiet was nurturing (there was no one else awake) and I felt as if I was suspended in a special, untouchable moment of peace.

No comments: