Monday, February 20, 2012

Slow and Calm

Saturday, February 18, 2012:

T'ai Chi Chih practice almost got away from me today. I zoomed from the moment I rose (cooking and cleaning for dinner and movie guests). At the last minute--right before guests arrived--I flew into my practice.

It was instantly obvious how speeded up I was. And, thankfully, in ten quick minutes I felt my body slow and relax. I relaxed so much, in fact, that I exited the gathering midway through the movie and went to bed. No regrets.

Sunday, February 19, 2012:

Today was another busy day filled with life's chores. I decided to spend yet another weekend computer-free and, again, it was lovely.

When darkness fell, I practiced T'ai Chi Chih. It felt strange, as if it had been days since I last practiced. Obviously, my ten minute practice interlude yesterday wasn't enough.

The slowdown from practice was long overdue and desperately needed. It's official: I transitioned from a doer to a be'er (and I don't mean the beverage). Now I feel so incredibly relaxed that I foresee another early to bed night.

Monday, February 20, 2012:

This morning, captured by the brilliant colors of the rising sun, I dropped everything and practiced T'ai Chi Chih. I could feel that my body was already geared up for a busy day and my mind overflowed with ideas about what I needed to do before I headed off to work.

Instead, I sat on a stool and moved slowly and softly through my practice. I could feel my priorities shifting and changing. What, truly, was more important that being right here in the moment saturating myself with the pinks and blues and glowing golden light of a new day?

When I looked out the living room window, the sky and water looked like mirrored reflections of each other. The glowing pink light in the sky was reflected in the water. The dark blue ridges of the horizon were mimicked by the clouds in the sky.

Then, suddenly and unexpectedly, the glowing orb of the sun emerged over the horizon. It rose with incredible speed; by the time I moved through the Taffys, the sun was already riding high in the sky. Yes. Yes! Today I begin my day with slow and calm rather than drive and hustle. It feels so much better....

No comments: