Monday, April 4, 2011

Melting

This morning I woke to a winter wonderland. Again. Heavy wet snow draped itself over every tree branch and horizontal surface. Frances, I asked, Do we usually have snow in April? She assured me: Yes, this is typical.

A co-worker told me that today was the 14th anniversary of her family's move to their new house. And ... 14 years ago they moved in the midst of a snowstorm. Okay. So I need to revise the ditty, April showers bring May flowers. A more accurate prescription for our locale may be: April snow showers bring May flowers.

During my morning T'ai Chi Chih practice I watched a steady stream of water flow off the edge of the roof. It felt as if I was in the midst of a rainstorm. But, no. Our overnight snowfall warmed to liquid and rained down.

I performed my practice seated and it was uneventful. When my attention wandered, I brought it back to the slap-slap-slap of rain hitting the earth and the visual spectacle of water flooding off the roof. Eventually I became part of the slap and drip and I slowly melted just like the snow....

No comments: