Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Miniature Miracle

Today I held a Ruby-Throated Hummingbird. What an awesome experience!

First, the back story. I was in the kitchen when I heard a loud thump against one of the house windows. Before I made it to the patio door I overheard Frances, "No, Chiripa. No-no-no-no. Let it go." Eventually the cat did release a hummingbird that had just flown--hard--into a south-facing window.

The bird was disoriented and Frances asked me to give it some Reiki as she slipped its body into my hands. While I directed energy I surveyed the sweet little bird that lay before me. The feathers on its back were a luminescent green and its breast looked like it was covered with row upon row of shining red sequins. Its tongue, a tiny tube ideal for sucking nectar, extended from its beak.

The bird rested as light as a feather in my palms with eyes closed. Occasionally it stirred, shifted position, or spread its wings. When it was time for me to leave for my evening TCC class, it still couldn't fly. I handed the hummer back to Frances and departed. After I returned home Frances told me that when she reached up to itch her nose, the bird flitted away. Hurrah!

My final T'ai Chi Chih class practice was on the roof balcony in 50-something degree temps. The practice went well and sped by. By its end I realized that our next class session is not scheduled to begin until October, almost five months from now. It will be a long but necessary break as the tourist season commences and summer picks up speed.

I'll miss my class practice circle and the tremendous group energy that circles around and through us. At the same time I'm ready to take a break from teaching responsibilities. Who knows what the summer--and then the fall--will bring?

No comments: