Friday, July 8, 2011

Cooked to Perfection

Today I inserted my T'ai Chi Chih practice into the space of time between taking a pan of lasagna out of the oven and pulling out the next baked item ... a vegetable stuffed turkey loaf. Everything--practice included!--turned out perfectly.

It was another glorious summer day, warmish with a cool breeze. The first part of my practice took place on the porch in order for me to hear the timer and remove the lasagna. Then I adjourned to the deck and enveloped myself in the sounds of wind passing through a forest of leaves. The sound--and the fact that I was alone on the deck--lulled me into a persistent meditative state.

I suppose since I cooked most of the day I felt grateful to take a break from standing in place. Plus I enjoyed the change in scenery and was happy to leap outside into the sunshiny, wind-blown day.

In late afternoon we stopped at a neighbor's house to see their four day old goat. One thing led to another and soon we were visiting with their chickens, ducks, and other goats, then touring through their garden, looking at their cistern, and finally, engaging in a long conversation about spirituality and (imagine this!) love.

Needless to say, I had a full day. I'm thankful for neighbors, animals, friends, and meaningful conversation. And for a daily TCC practice that brings me back to the Oneness of all.

No comments: