Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Pillows and Blankies

Excellent timing tonight ... I taught my continuing t'ai chi chih moving meditation class in Washburn then drove six blocks to attend the Bayfield County Board meeting regarding the Shadow Wood Landing rezone. I arrived about 75 minutes after the meeting started and, although Shadow Wood was one of the early agenda items, I still managed to hear almost two hours of public testimony and offer a brief statement myself.

The timing was exceptional because it provided me with the opportunity to relax along with my students as I taught my class. The sense of peace and relaxation that pervaded the classroom also put me in a positive frame of mind to attend the Board meeting and, once the rezone was approved despite our testimony in opposition (30+ people), I went home knowing that I had done my best. You can't ask for more than that now can you?

During my TCC class session I turned with my back to the room to lead students through the Taffies and Working the Pulley. When I turned back to face them, the first thought that came to mind was this: I'm going to have to start bringing pillows and blankies for my students. It looks like we all need to take a nap immediately after this class.

It's tremendously encouraging to see how relaxed and at ease my students become during and after our practice sessions. And, as I told my students, it feels as if we're giving each other permission--providing a support group, if you will--to be quiet. In our culture of speed, sound, success, and excess, that is a rare and wonderful thing.

No comments: