Thursday, March 4, 2010

What is Essential

The activities of this degenerate age are like a madman's
performance of dance.
No matter what we do, there is no way to please others.
Think about what is essential.
This is my heart's advice.
          --Bhande Dharmaradza
          From: A Complete Guide to the Buddhist Path, Khenchen Konchog Gyaltshen
As TCC teachers we all know--or have realized--that it is impossible to please everyone who attends our classes. Because each of us has a different way of thinking and a different way of learning we simply can't satisfy everyone. So what do we do? As Bhande Dharmaradza advises: Think about what is essential.

Each week as I drive to my classes I set my intention for the hour or more that I spend with my students. I articulate that intention mentally--and sometimes verbally--to begin to create a space that is safe and comfortable for all. I often ask the Universe for help in this process and, though I vary my request, it often sounds something like this: May I and the members of my class be filled with relaxation, peace, love, acceptance, and compassion. May we be peace.

This morning's Cornucopia class practiced the Healing Sounds per Sr. Antonia's instruction and guidance at the Twin Cities' TCC retreat in January. Since my class is small, I asked one person at a time to sit in the center of our circle and the remaining members of the class recited the Healing Sounds as we moved together around our classmate. In St. Paul we had about 30 practitioners, here in Cornucopia there were six of us.

But my class also experienced (I hope) some of what is essential ... to be open to the experience of Life Force energy, to experience its healing powers, and to willingly offer this gift of energetic healing to one another without expectation or reward: Ho, Hu, Szu, Hsu, Hsi, Chui. Ahhhh....

No comments: