Monday, March 15, 2010

What Animals Can Teach Us

Another fabulous sun-filled day. As snow melts, mud expands its purview. Soon we'll park our car at the end of the driveway until a drier roadway prevails.

Today was another practice-on-the-deck day. As Ander and Lucy (the geese) waded in the stream flowing down the ravine south of our deck and yanked up fresh green goodies, Chiripa (the kitten) raced in and out of the house, onto/over/along/under the deck, and near the geese (who responded with loud, threatening hissing sounds). I swear that kitten must practice TCC because she seemed unfazed by the aggressive goosing behaviors and went blithely on her way. Oh, what those animals can teach us!

My deck practice was a combined TCC/Seijaku session. I'm still getting the gist of the essential aspects of holding fast and letting go that characterize Seijaku and I know that the more I practice, the easier it will become. It felt heavenly to be moving outdoors!

Early in the day I did a mental rehearsal while awaiting lab tests. Seated in the waiting room with my eyes closed, I simply imagined myself practicing Rocking Motion, Bass Drum, Daughter on the Mountain Top, and Daughter in the Valley. When the nurse called me in, she commented that I looked so peaceful sitting there in the sun ... it looked like I was meditating. Yes, I replied, I was.

These mental rehearsals performed when I'm awaiting medical procedures and office visits offers a wonderful sense of calm in an otherwise stressful situation. Sure, TCC is a tool ... but it's also a gift.
Where all the subtle channels of the body meet, like spokes in the centre of a wheel, there he moves in the heart and transforms his own form into many. Upon OM, Atman, your Self, place your meditation. Glory unto you in your far-away journey beyond darkness!
               Mundaka Upanishad
               From: The Mystic Vision, p. 49

No comments: