Monday, October 24, 2011

What Really Matters

Sunday, October 23, 2011:

It wasn't until I crawled into bed that I realized I hadn't yet done a T'ai Chi Chih practice. I found it hard to believe that I could actually forget a practice after almost two years of daily TCC practices and blogs. Yet, I did.

Oh, I was snuggled into bed so warm and cozy that I decided to perform a mental rehearsal before I fell asleep. Truth be told, I lasted through Rocking Motion and Bird Flaps Its Wings before I flapped my wings into dreamland.

The funny thing is, I just told students in one of my T'ai Chi Chih classes that I always promise myself that I'll do a TCC practice sometime during my day, whether it's immediately after I rise or right before I go to bed. No sooner said than ... not done!

Monday, October 24, 2011:

I had another split T'ai Chi Chih practice today. Ten minutes before work--it was beautiful and sunny--and ten minutes after work. I practiced tonight in the middle of darkness and, I must admit, if I had my druthers, I'd practice while the sun shines. Or better yet, when the sun is just rising over the edge of the world.

Still, I'm grateful when I manage a before- and after-work practice since I receive different benefits depending upon the time of day I practice. Before-work practices settle my mind and body into a receptive state that is helpful when I deal with patrons at the library. After-work practices calm the hyperactivity that I often flow into during my busy, nonstop days at work.

And, either way, I'm calmer and quieter inside. That's what really matters....

No comments: